Foam ceramic filter is a new type of molten metal foundry filter, it is used to filter impurities in liquid metal and reduce casting defects. The pore network structure can increase the surface area, absorb the sintered material, and make the molten metal purer. The quality of wastes such as sand holes and pores is much less, and the quality of castings is much better.
The production of high-quality aluminum products aluminum ingots and billets requires molten aluminum to be relatively free of inclusions, such as insoluble solids or immiscible liquid impurities. This can ensure the downstream high-quality products’ stringent requirements, such as rigid and flexible packaging materials, aerospace products (extruded, sheet, plate, forging), lithography, automotive condensers, and bright trim. In the production process of molten aluminum, insoluble impurities or inclusions are generated during the entire reduction, heat preservation, alloying, and casting process.
The ceramic foam filter has the characteristics of high permeability, good strength and thermal shock resistance, stable quality, and no impurities will be lost at high temperatures regardless of whether it is a large size or a small PPI product.
Advantages compared with traditional filter materials:
- It has thermal and chemical stability at high temperatures, avoiding chemical reactions with the molten metal after filtration.
- Due to its pure ceramic composite material, it has high porosity and good mechanical strength at high temperatures.
- No ceramic particles or powder will be lost during the filtration process. Low head loss, convenient operation, and energy saving.
- Make the metal flow smoothly, avoid sputtering and backflow, thereby improving the surface quality of the casting, preventing the deformation of the pores, and ultimately reducing the rejection rate.
Alumina ceramic foam filters are mainly used for filtering aluminum and alloys in the filter housing. With excellent corrosion resistance to molten aluminum and strict control of pore size and porosity, the filter can effectively remove micron-level impurities and provide a stable laminar flow to achieve higher quality casting.
The alumina foam ceramic filter produced by our company has been widely used in the casting, low pressure, semi-continuous, and continuous casting purification systems of aluminum and aluminum alloy liquid.
Molten Metal Foundry Filter Features
1. Stable chemical composition;
2. Excellent bending and compressive strength;
3. Fully sintered and uniform pore size;
4. Three-dimensional network structure with small steady-state error;
5. High porosity and low filtration barriers;
6. High impurity adsorption and perfect filtering effect.